Monday, July 19, 2010

Plastic scour pad and wooden topiary


I read about a crafter who made hedges for villages out of plastic scouring pads. So I thought they would work for topiary too! I was making village ponds at that time and needed to make a garden base to display them.


I took a scour pad and going back to kindergarten remembered how to make a spiral shape. Whew it's been a while since Kindergarten.

Cut out the circle, and spiral.

It should uncurl like this. I used yellow but the greens one color better.

It will fit on a stick or the end of a plastic plant stem ( Tip from a very creative villager named Cowboy). With a little hot glue but first we need to add the greenery to it.

You can also make a layered circular topiary the same way with circles only cut a small cross in the middle of your circle so they can be put on a stem.


They will look like this.

Next we need to cover them with greenery. I use a mixture of ground covers for villages. Static grass, flocking and turf. First cover the scour pad with PVC glue like Arleens tacky glue. Then roll and cover with greenery.

Let dry overnight!

I also found some cool little wooden shapes at the craft store that can be covered for some different shaped topiary.

Have fun finding different items. I even used plastic animals for topiary in my new garden.

It also works great for hedges! LOL

1 comment:

  1. Wow Meg this is such a fantastic idea and relatively easy to do too. You are so creative !!! Just love them !! Thanks again, Preston

    ReplyDelete