Saturday, November 13, 2010

Come Fix the Wheel of Horror with me!! HEHE!

I went to Micheals and found the Wheel of Horror and Grimsley's Green House on the 80% off rack plus I had a 20% off total purchase coupon which expires today. I bought the Wheel of Horror for 19.19 and Grimsley's Greenhouse for 11.19 plus a 4.5 volt adaptor for 3.19.
I knew there had to be something wrong with the Wheel of Horror cause it normally cost 119.00 and nobody had bought it. I have free time today so I took it home. Of course it came on but the wheel wouldn't turn. I could leave it as a table piece cause it would light up and the sound worked but that's not as much fun as watching it turn. So I decided to take it apart and fix it. If nothing else I could use the parts for other things if I mess it up badly. LOL
  The first thing I did was to turn off the sound but leave it running so I could hear which side of the wheel the gears where turning. It was the thich orange side at the back of the ride.
I had to peel some of felt Lemax puts on the bottom off and I cut around the rest to try to save some of it.
Remove 4 little screws holding the bottom plastic on. Be very careful if you ever do this cause all the LED light wires are there and very fragile.
Now I had to find where the little motor is that turns the wheel and if maybe it runs on a pulley or gear.
I took off the next little plastic plate.


With the other plate off I had to push those little circles to get the legs of the top wheel brace to come loose.


I had to pyre off the skull it was only attached with hot glue but it had wire attached for the eyes. There is a long screw inside that attaches the front brace to the back. Once that was out the wheel came right off.


Now I looked at the little nut that turns the wheel. I plugged it in and it turned.

So I looked at the wheel where it fitted on the nut. It was stripped out and had bits of plastic stuck in it.

This was all I could come up with to tighten the nut up. I thought about hot glue but I thought the friction from the wheel might get it too warm. So I cut some tiny strips of electrical tape and wound them around the nut. I did this three times. Then put it back together.

The only casualty was this little cat I knocked off his  tail! LOL Now I need the hot glue.


All back together plugged in and it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's a link to the you tube of it working.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODTmxIII_XM

No comments:

Post a Comment